Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Another Airline Adventure

I don't know what it is about the combination of me, the kids, and airplane flights to Texas that seems to create adventure! The flight out was luckily just Brody and me since we were delayed for FIVE HOURS, and of course, they would only announce the delay about thirty minutes at a time, always with the warning that, "the take off time could change at any moment, so please do not leave the boarding area for more than ten to fifteen minutes at a time." We finally landed in Houston around 9:30 (instead of 4:45) which pretty much obliterated any time I might have had with Emily since we were staying at her house Thursday evening, especially since, due to an accident on 610, we didn't even reach her house until after 11:00pm (midnight in my time zone). I literally could have driven to Texas in the amount of time we spent traveling that day!

The return trip went really smooth - we took off on time, landed early, had re
ally nice people help get our luggage on and off the bus that took us to the parking lot...it was when I reached my car that our luck changed...apparently, I had left a dome light on, and being as my car was in the parking lot for a week, my battery was dead. Despite the fact that it was 9 o'clock at night, the humidity level in Charlotte still felt like 99% - especially when we couldn't turn on the AC! I called my husband (yes, in Wisconsin - my mind still turns to one person when I need help) and he had the presence of mind to not only call our roadside assist program, but also the Charlotte airport, which happens to have security people who drive through the parking lots assisting stranded travelers like me! The security truck arrived first, and I was ever so grateful to see it was a woman driving (especially since I was still blubbering like a baby). She helped me find my keys (which I had somehow misplaced in the fifteen minutes between the time I realized my car wouldn't start and when she arrived) and jump started my battery. Despite all the drama, we still made it home by midnight (Charlotte is 90 miles north of Columbia) and the kids remained calm and collected, even when their mother was not!

Despite the difficulties traveling to and from Texas, our trip there was great, although too short as always. Here are some fun photos!


We had a family party for both Alexa and Brody while there - Alexa's was a princess themed party and she played the part quite well!!










Brody enjoyed the party as well, and he enjoyed the cake just as much at this party as he did on his actual birthday!














The kids had a blas
t playing with the toys at Grandma's house, as well as spending time with Grandma, Pawpaw, and all three great-grandparents - Granny, Mamaw, and Papaw!



































On the way to my Granny's house, we pass the office for the LCM school district - because the LCM mas
cot is a bear, they have a large statue on their grounds. Alexa LOVED the bear, so we had to take her photo by it!

Here's a few more photos of the kids playing!



No comments: