At some time, I read a book on parenting that suggested you let your children make the choices that don't really matter - such as, would you like to wear your black shoes or your brown shoes? Which cereal would you like to eat today? And so on...this has worked well with Alexa since she likes to be in control. However, I learned recently that she may not be aware that there are choices BEYOND her options!! She mentioned the other day that she wanted to see Santa. Billy told her we could take her to see Santa and that when she saw him, he would ask her what she wanted for Christmas - what would she tell him? She looked at us and, because my drama queen loves to talk with her hands (didn't know that could be inherited!), raised her hands and shrugged, saying, "I don't know, I don't know what he has!"
She also has complained of a cough recently, but as long as she has "one popsicle in the morning and one at night, her cough is better." (as she tells me daily) Today, she was asking me if I wanted a popsicle (we have her rainbow ones and my fudgesicle ones) I told her I was fine, and she said, "but mommy, if your head hurts or something, just have one of your chocolate ones and everything will go away." What an early age to learn that chocolate makes everything better! :)
In other news, Brody has had quite the list of doctor's visits lately. The week before Thanksgiving, we visited the ophthalmologist and he passed his vision test, then on 11/28, we went in for his 18 month check-up - he now weighs 19lb 9oz and is 30" tall. After the 18-month check up, we drove to Florence, SC for a follow-up with the Orthopedist. They did another x-ray, still don't see any problem with his bones, feel like he will grow out of turning his left foot out, and he will walk when he wants to. His physical therapist came out on Friday and decided that she will only see him one more time before we move for his final evaluation. She does not see a need to continue weekly visits because there is no PHYSICAL reason Brody is not walking - he has the strength to do it, and he has the balance to do it based on the fact that he cruises one handed and is capable of standing solo on his two feet - he just chooses not to do it. Add to that the fact that she walks in the door and he takes one look at her, throws himself on the floor and has a tantrum. He absolutely REFUSES to cooperate with his therapist anymore! She hates seeing him so upset, and we can't FORCE him to walk, so, he's basically mastered all the skills she has taught him.
On Monday (12/3), we met with a geneticist - genetic testing is a service offered to all children in the early intervention program, and though the doctors and therapists do not see anything that would lead them to believe Brody has a genetic disorder, they recommended the testing if for no other reason, to rule some things out before we move. I am really comfortable with the staff we have been working with in Columbia and will be staring over when we move with a new set of doctors - if there is anything else to be done, I would rather it be done here. They did a physical exam and observed Brody for a while, repeating basically the same thing I hear from everyone - they do not see any physical problems, he seems to have a healthy appetite and is growing, even if he is not on the charts, and they're not sure why he's not walking or talking - some kids just don't fall in that 97% that all the stats are based off of! They took blood and are running three tests, but we won't get the results back for 4-8 weeks.
Though he is still behind his peers, Brody has made some great improvements over the last few weeks! He has FINALLY started signing for us, doing 'more' and 'open' and 'all done' much more consistently. He is also extremely proficient with cruising and prefers to cruise around the house instead of crawling - he just has to have contact with something solid, like a couch, table, or even the walls! He imitates actions now, frequently 'cleaning' his high chair tray or 'vacuuming' the floor with a toy dust buster. Once we move, he will be referred to the early intervention program in Iowa, and while I'm sure speech therapy will continue, the therapist here does not feel he will need physical therapy.
The kids and I are leaving for Texas on the 12th, riding down with my parents, and Billy will join us on the 21st! I doubt I will blog again before Christmas, so HAVE A GREAT CHRISTMAS!!
2 comments:
Jen,
I'm just catching up with all your posts. Alexa is still cracking me up! I am so glad we got to see her and Brody this weekend. It is good to see Brody making so much progress. He is just too cute. It must be exciting getting to move to another state in a couple of weeks. Good luck with everything, and keep us posted!
Jen,
i love reading your posts but i usually don't have time to write! the kids are getting so big! i love alexa's personality! abby will be 6 next week, emma's 3 and jacob is 1 and a whopping 25 lbs! boy is he different from the girls! anyway, email me if you get a chance - least@gt.rr.com!
love ya!
Post a Comment