We are blessed though and our home and neighborhood have remained dry! In fact, if I did not watch the news, I wouldn't even guess that downtown was under water. Because I work from home and do most of my errand running in this area, I do not see the bulging river banks or closed roads. I have been checking our basement every day, and other than a small spot of carpet dampness near an exterior wall the morning after an extremely intense storm, we have remained dry. Our sump pump is running almost non-stop (didn't even know what a sump pump was until I moved to Des Moines!) but is doing its job. Last night the news interviewed a woman who opened to door to her basement stairs and the scene could have been taken from the movie "Titanic" as the water rushed over her stairs!
Below is a map of Des Moines which shows where the main flooding and road closures are occurring. The map shows a large area, so our neighborhood is actually under the I-35 sign near West Des Moines - look for the pink slash to see our approximate location. The pink x near the bottom of the map shows where Billy works - so far, his route to work has not been affected either.

I appreciate the concerned calls and emails and apologize for not letting everyone know we are doing ok earlier! While the storms have been awful, until I watched the news, I really did not realize how seriously Des Moines had been affected.
To close on a humorous note, we have been watching the NBA finals lately. Alexa was watching the game with us the other night when the sportscaster announced, "Celtics time out" and all the players ran to the sideline. In disbelief, Alexa looked at her daddy and asked, "They're ALL in time out?!"
4 comments:
What's a sump pump?
I read somewhere once that if you need it you'll know!
I'm glad you guys are okay! If your basement floods, make sure you save the Wii! ha ha ha
Hi Jen-
I have so much enjoyed reading and seeing the pictures from your blogs. I have forgotten to ask your Mother how you all were weathering the flooding when she stopped by the church this week. Glad to hear you all are high and dry.
Sandy
Jen, it was really nice to see you and the kiddos! Wish we could have seen Billy too and stayed for awhile.
Hope Des Moines dries out quickly. I was astounded over how high the rivers were.
Take Care!
Post a Comment