Tuesday, December 30, 2008

My Favorite Alexa-isms...

My daughter's wisdom and observations never cease to amaze and entertain me! Here are some of my favorites from the last two months!

Shoveling...
One evening the snow was really coming down as we drove home from dinner at a friend's house. Upon arriving home, Billy began shoveling and putting ice melt on the driveway so it wouldn't be too bad in the morning. I went ahead and put the kids to bed, explaining to Alexa that dad had to shovel the snow off the drive. When she woke up the next morning, Billy was already outside shoveling the snow that had continued to fall through the night. She asked where he was and when I told her, she exclaimed, "He never went to sleep?!"


'Da Hood...
The kids received the movie "Robin Hood" on DVD for Christmas. While watching it one afternoon, Alexa said, "we've been there." Confused, because I certainly do not remember ever being in Sherwood Forest, I asked her where. "Robin Hood!" she replied. I smiled, explaining that Robin Hood isn't a place, it's the name of the character. "Yes it is!" she adamently responded. "I heard 'da hood' in Columbia!"
(I'm not sure where in Columbia my daughter heard about 'da hood', but I've long since realized that her memory is far better than mine and its just better not to question!)


"Our Son"
You don't realize how much kids pick up on your intonations and your expressions until you hear them repeated...while staying at the hotel the night before we flew to Utah, Brody was in a crazy mood! The four of us were standing in the bedroom talking when Brody suddenly bolted into the main room. The exasperation evident, Alexa sighed and exclaimed, "I'll go get our son!" Billy and I cracked up! Upon realizing what she'd said, she quickly corrected added, "I mean my brother!"

Not snow nor sleet...
And lastly, our first Sunday after Billy had left town, the roads still looked pretty icy from the storm the night before. I told Alexa I wasn't sure if we would go to church (we had been to the Saturday night service, but Alexa likes going to Sunday School) because the roads looked icy.
"Mom," she said in her sternest tone. "Everyone else has ice outside their houses and their still going to church!"
Reprimand taken, we got ready and went. Upon pulling in the parking lot after a relatively smooth drive in, she simply said, "See? Told you we could get here."

No comments: