just outside of Washington, DC. When we found out that my parents were planning a trip to visit them that happened to coincide with our anniversary weekend, we decided to join in the fun! My parents drove through Columbia on their way to Virginia, picking up Alexa on March 4th so she had an extra week to spend with the grandparents. Mom had set up a tour of the Capital Building through their representative, so Alexa got to join them on their 'private tour!' She also visited the Smithsonian and was quite impressed with the large animals and the 'castle' (the Smithsonian visitor's center).
We arrived in Virginia last Friday morning, and after spending a quiet evening with the family, started our day in DC early Saturday. The weather was perfect for visiting the outdoor sites. You see photos and news casts of the historic monuments, but it is nothing like being there in person.Although I had seen numerous images of Arlington cemetery, I never realized its actual size. It is sobering to be able to look in any direction and see unending grave sites, knowing that they represent those who served our country.
"HERE RESTS IN HONORED GLORY AN AMERICAN SOLDIER KNOWN BUT TO GOD"
The changing of the guard takes place in complete silence while every one present stands. Watching the ceremony while surrounded by three family members who serve in the armed forces and knowing that so many soldiers are risking their lives overseas right now was definitely an experience I will not forget.
We also visited the Washington Monument, WWII Memorial, Vietnam Wall Memorial, and the Lincoln Monument. That filled our day, and to give the kids a break, we did not return to D.C. Sunday, but instead visited the Marine Museum outside of the Quantico base.
There is so much more to see in D.C. and we hope to visit again maybe while we are on the east coast.
Sunday evening, Billy and I celebrated our seventh wedding anniversary with dinner at a restaurant on the banks of the river in Fredericksburg, Virginia. As unbelievable as it is that seven years have passed so quickly, even more amazing to me is that this summer will mark ten years since I met Billy! Who knew that one summer missions trip in college would forever change my life in such a wonderful way!
I love that after seven years of marriage, dates with my husband still bring the excitement of a first date while also providing the comforting familiarity of spending time with your best friend. We've shared so many adventures over the past seven years and I know many more are in store for us in the future!
Here are a few more of my favorite photos from our weekend vacation!
Alexa's favorite way to tour DC!
Pawpaw's shoulder is the best place to sleep!Cousins!

That must be one great bottle!
Daddy's Hat!
3 comments:
I hope you guys had a wonderful anniversary! Lucky you to see DC. We lived so close also, but ever got to see it.
I am glad that Brody is doing better! I am sure before long, it will be a blip memory.
As usual, both kids are adorable. Miss you tons!
Love
Renee'
I went to the Smithosian (sp?) once, it is way cool. I need to write you but My computer crashed and I've lost your e-mail address, can you send it to me?
Holly
never mind--DUH! it was on your letter. It's been a very long week.
Holly
Post a Comment